Thursday, December 14, 2006

Vogue Australia - January 2007


I picked up the latest issue of Vogue Australia and I was unfortunately sorely disappointed.

I guess my biggest irk is that Vogue Australia continues to re-hash editorial from other international Vogue publications (this month’s “Get Happy” spread by Grace Coddington is a prime example).

We’re such global consumers these days and with the internet we can all easily access up to the minute fashion. Even though we are effectively a season behind, we are no longer complacent. I often buy Vogue US or Vogue Paris but when I see the same spreads featured in Vogue Australia a few months later it just doesn’t seem to justify the price to also buy Vogue Aus. For one, we should really cultivate our own photographers, stylists etc. Also, fashion has to capture the zeitgeist… anything that is a month old is exactly that, old!

But essentially all is not lost, Vogue Australia does have a distinct spirit. I for one yearned for it when I was living overseas. I know that Vogue Australia can be a world-renowned publication which rivals its international counterparts. Our designers have spearheaded the way to international success.. now its time for our press to follow!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this used to happen, but it shouldnt be happening anymore, australian vogue is no longer part of the same company which produces all the other international vogue publications. vogue australia, although not terribly fantastic, IS independently owned...

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, if its independently owned then wouldn't it be costing them to use the same editorial. Wonder how much its costing them? Guess it'd be cheaper than having to pay a good photographer to create a new fashion spread

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from France !

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've noticed the recycled editorials from other editions of magazines in vogue espanol & vogue latin america.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this blog is so inspirational. I think its important to critically engage with what we consume. it is the only way to move forward and evolve. Thanks for reminding me not to be a passive reader. but ps. I still love australian vouge. another really Fabulous publication is ‘another magazine.’ I love the quick reads of their (another thing I wanted to tell you). I think it has a wider appeal for both men and women.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It frustrates me to read recycled articles, i can forgive a minor article from another Vogue but when they use the article, photographs and exactly the same cover shots from other magazines (even though they are Conde Naste, its no excuse) I feel cheated and I think it cheapens their magazine. They have now established themselves as being followers of fashion, where they should be creating style all they do is copy it and they are in most cases months behind their competitors. I haven't bought an Australian Vogue in over five months because of all the reason you have stated in your blog.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vogue australia is always dissapointing. the entire scarlet interview was copied from british vogue.

i prefer bazzaar.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see someone else notices the blatant copying Vogue gets up too. Its so disappointing- do they think we dont read any international magazines? Great website too!!

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home